“The new roadway is just blowing us up. Our AE economic development is through the roof. Not only new businesses but some of the existing businesses.” Oscar Trevino - Mayor of the City of North Richland Hills
In 2009, Cintra was chosen to lead a partnership that created the North Tarrant Express, a project that is improving mobility, relieving congestion and preparing for future growth along a corridor of highly traveled highways in North Texas. The project encompasses a 13.3-mile corridor along the north loop of I-820 and SH-121/183, from I-35W in north Fort Worth to FM 157 in eastern Tarrant County. Construction included rebuilding four-six general purpose lanes, rebuilding and expanding frontage roads, and adding four managed toll lanes.
Opened in October 2014, this new highway system has doubled existing road capacity in one of the country’s fastest-growing and most congested regions, reducing congestion significantly while helping improve regional air quality.
|Facility Type:||General purpose and tolled managed lanes|
|Start of Concession:||2009|
|End of Concession:||2061|
|Term of Concession:||52 years|
|Concession Company:||NTE Mobility Partners|
|Client:||Texas Department of Transportation|
|Equity Structure:||56.67% Cintra Infraestructuras S.A.; 33.33% Meridiam; 10% Dallas Police and Fire Pension System|
- 2016 Don Capelle Award for Leadership—awarded by the Transportation Research Board (TRB) Managed Lanes Committee.
- 2016 Texas Engineering Excellence Award for a Transportation Project—awarded by the American Council of Engineering Companies of Texas.
- 2015 Best of the Best Highway/Bridge Project—awarded by Engineering News Record.
- 2015 Engineering News Record Texas & Louisiana Best Highway/Bridge Project Winner.
- 2015 Excellence in Safety Award —awarded by Engineering News Record Texas & Louisiana.
- 2015 TransComm Skills Best Transportation Event—awarded by the Transportation Communications Sub-committee of the American Association of State Highways and Transport Officials (AASHTO).
- 2015 America’s Transportation Award—awarded by the American Association of State Highways and Transport Officials (AASHTO).
- 2015 Under Budget Award—awarded by the America’s Transportation Awards (Western Region States).
- 2015 Texas Quality Asphalt Pavement Award for Outstanding Achievement—awarded by the Texas Asphalt Pavement Association (TXAPA).
- 2015 Journey Towards Excellence Award—awarded by the Texas Department of Transportation.
- 2014 Community Relations PRIDE Award—awarded by the American Road and Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) Transportation Development Foundation for the North Tarrant Express/NMSI Partnership for STEM Education.
- 2014 Environmental Globe Award—awarded by the American Road and Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA).
- 2014 Public Relations Globe Award—awarded by the American Road and Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA).
- 2014 Texas Excellence in Construction Award—awarded by the U.S. Trade & Commerce Research Institute for consistently demonstrating a high regard for upholding business ethics and company values.
- 2014 General Contractor of the Year Pillar Award—awarded by the Regional Hispanic Contractors Association for outstanding performance in the areas of safety, innovation, sustainable building practices and project management.
- 2014 Best Public Private Partnership Road Project—awarded by the Partnership Awards.
- 2014 Best Developer and Contractor—awarded by the Partnership Awards.
- 2014 LUNA Award for Administrative Professional of the Year—awarded by the Regional Hispanic Contractors Association to Yolanda Coleman for her administrative work.
- 2013 Small Business Advocate Award—awarded by the Texas Department of Transportation Office of Civil Rights.
- 2013 LUNA Award for Business Advocate of the Year—awarded by the Regional Hispanic Contractors Association.
- 2012 Gemini Teaming Partner Award—awarded by the Asian Contractors Association of Texas.
- 2011 LUNA Award for CEO of the Year—awarded by the Regional Hispanic Contractors Association to Belen Marcos, CEO of the North Tarrant Express project.
- 2011 Gold Award for Overall Web Site Design—awarded by the Hermes Creative Awards for the North Tarrant Express project’s website.
- 2011 Platinum Award for Advertising Campaign—awarded by the Marcom Awards for the North Tarrant Express project’s “Orange Cones, No Phones” campaign.
- 2010 Project of the Year—awarded by the American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA).
- 2009 Global Transport Deal of the Year—awarded by Infrastructure Journal.
Our team also invested in programs throughout the corridor that provide districtwide teacher grants, after school programs, and initiatives for low-income families, disadvantaged neighborhoods and single parent households.
The design-build team also conducted an annual summer internship program intended for civil engineering students and other related fields to gain practical experience in construction management. Under the direction of senior construction management and professional engineers, interns participated in all aspects of construction management. Twenty-five students participated in this program, one of which joined the company in a full-time career following graduation.
To read more about NTE’s involvement in their local community, please click here.